Nonthaburi dates back into Thailand’s history to when Ayutthaya was still the capital city and is 400 yrs old. The town was originally a famous fruit orchard and located at Tambon Ban Talat Khwan where the Chao Phraya River and several canals pass though it. A shortcut was devised by King Prasat Thong by digging a canal from Wat Thai Muang to Wat Khema which upon completion caused the Chao Phraya to change its flow to the new course it runs today.
In 1665, King Narai the Great ordered that a fortress be built on the mouth of the Om River as he believed the new canal route weakened the capitals defences by given enemies too much proximity to the capital. He relocated Nonthaburi to the same area and a city shrine still stands there today.
During the Rattanakosin period under the reign of King Rama IV the town was ordered to be moved to the mouth of the Bang Su Canal in Ban Talat Khwan and a provincial hall was constructed there. The hall was moved to Ratchawitthayalai, Ban Bang Khwan, and Tambon Bang Tanao Si in 1928.
In present day Nonthaburi the Training Division of the Ministry of Interior is situated on Pracha Rat 1 Road, Amphoe Muang is a building of European architecture beautifully decorated with patterned woodwork and it is now registered by the Fine Rats Department as an historical site. The provincial hall is now located on Rattanathibet Road.